Monday, October 19, 2009

Animal vs. Food Scouts


My son just joined Cub Scouts. It seems like such a wholesome, Americana thing to do. My husband calls it paramilitary with the salutes and handshakes and pledges and all, but my son just thinks it's cool because he'll get to shoot bows and arrows and bb guns - such a boy thing.

Yesterday, we were in the car and he asked about Girl Scouts.

"I'm a Tiger Cub and the Boy Scouts have Bear Cubs too. What do Girl Scouts have?" he asked.

"When I was your age I was a Brownie Scout," I told him.

"Oh, so Boy Scouts have animal names, and Girl Scouts have food names," he concluded.

How cute! "Well, not exactly," I explained. "Brownies are a type of fairy."

"Like the tooth fairy?"

"Kind of."

"So if a brownie fairy comes after you lose a tooth, she'll leave a brownie under your pillow instead of money?"

Seems logical in a 6-year-old sort of way!

No comments:

Post a Comment