Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Dream Job or Just Dreaming?

So if I could have any job in the world what would it be? Hmmm. It would have to be something creative. Something involving travel. OK, who am I kidding? I know I would love to be a travel writer. Ever since I was a kid, I've been into writing. And my parents were kind enough to instill a travel bug in me - from my dad taking me on business trips with him to places like Boston and Maine, to my mom taking me to London for spring break when I was a freshman in high school, to my parents letting me study abroad in Melbourne, Australia, during my senior year in college.

When I was in high school and the editor of my school paper, my aspiration was to be editor-in-chief of French Vogue. Oh la la! Still would love to do that - even more so now that I've been to Paris. Though I have to admit, the high fashion aspect of Vogue scares me a little. Do they have a French Vogue home edition? That's a little more up my alley these days.

The reason I bring this all up is that there are two shows that I've caught recently that make me dream. The first premiered tonight on The Sundance Channel. It's Man Shops World. Keith Johnson is a buyer for Anthropologie (who doesn't love those stores?). He travels the globe seeking out wonderful furniture, accessories and other items for the stores. How fabulous is that?! Please give me thousands of dollars, a plane ticket to France (or anywhere for that matter), and free reign to shop. What a lucky guy!


The other show was called Confessions of a Travel Writer, which was on the Travel Channel in August. Though the show has only aired the premiere episode and had mixed reviews, it made me decide that I needed another writing outlet; hence, this blog. And it made me realize that I need
to get out and travel more, again. Though my life is fully consumed with the busy-ness of a first-grader, a silly 2-year-old, and a great, but often traveling husband, even little trips give the gift of newness. Hence, a train trip from Portland to Seattle in August with the kids. It was a little adventure and just what I needed. No car meant the kids and I went by train, bus, foot and taxi. A little break from our usual minivan-ed lives.

So for me a little writing, a little travel and a little dreaming keep the soul happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment